Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Beginning

This blog will be a journal of my endeavor to learn how to build wooden boats from scratch. As all great (and not-so-great) undertakings do, I have very little to start with. I'm a full-time college student, so that should give you a good idea of where I'm at financially, and as far as woodworking is concerned, I know little more than which side of the saw to cut with.

Why wooden boats: I'll admit that I'm not an extremely "green" person in the hyped-up, chic sense of the term. I like meat ( a lot), and I grew up hunting and fishing. No, I don't get a sadistic thrill out of putting bullets in our cute, fuzzy forest friends, but as I said, I like meat, and I find that a much better way for an animal to live/die than the way most domesticated animals get their ticket punched. Not to mention, if you eat meat, then its blood is on your hands anyway, so deal with it. To the vegetarians in the audience, Kudos! You'll probably live longer than I will.

ANYWAY, let's talk about boats. In all actuality, my motive for learning to build a boat is to learn how to build a sailboat. I love sailboats. There are few things more beautiful than a sailboat on a beam reach, sails full, in perfect harmony with nature. Its the only form of (fairly) dependable transportation that does not require the consuming of resources. I'll admit that I have often dreamed of sailing around the world (or at least across the Atlantic) on a sailboat of my own making.

Unfortunately, I've had about as much experience sailing as I do with woodworking: next to none. So I suppose I have quite a bit of work ahead!

Anchors Aweigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment